Apple crisp is one of my favorite things about Fall. Last weekend we went to Millstone Creek Orchard and had so much fun! We bought so many apples I decided to make apple crisp. I used golden delicious this time but you can use any apples you want.
When we lived in Indiana we always went to the apple orchard every Fall! We would pick apples, get some pumpkins, and eat all the things. Since moving to North Carolina 3 years ago we just haven’t found an apple orchard that felt like it did back home. They tend to be more like farmers stands than orchards. Millstone was amazing and so much like home! There were so many things to do and so many yummy foods! The apple cider donuts and apple cider slushies were my favorite. The kids had so much fun going on a hay ride, feeding the alpacas, and roasting s’mores. We will definitely be going back!
Apple crisp is SO easy to make and even though I don’t make it healthy its really good! We like to pair ours with Friendly’s Butter Pecan Ice Cream.
6 apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter (1 stick)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss apples with white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to coat. Pour into a baking dish or pan.
- Mix brown sugar, oats, flour, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a separate bowl. Using 2 forks (or a pastry cutter) mash the cold butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spread over the apples to the edges of the baking dish and pat gently to even it out.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown and sides are bubbling.
- Serve warm with ice cream!